Friday 3 February 2012

Amazing!

There was a really nice surprise on my last midwife’s appointment. She asked me to jump on the bed and I wasn’t prepared for anything else! I really thought she was going to do an internal examination or something like that, but I was wrong. I was a bit embarrassed because I was still spotting...

She said I’m going to feel your baby to see how it’s growing. She put her hands on my tummy and identified the top and bottom of my uterus. She showed it to the student midwife who was with her. She said that although I’m 15 weeks, baby feels higher than that. She didn’t use a tape measure, just her hands.

I was intrigued by this, so I’ve found out on http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/antenatalhealth/largeforstageexpert/ that ‘the number of centimetres your bump measures should be the same as the number of weeks you are pregnant, give or take 2cm. Carrying a little extra fat, or being shorter than average, may also make the measurement bigger’.

Since I was in the horizontal position still, she said ‘we are now going to hear your baby’s heartbeat’. I was so excited and scared at the same time! What if she couldn’t find it? What if something was wrong? Anyway, I was there already so I might as well go through it. She put some gel on my belly and advised me that it might take a few seconds to find the heartbeat and not to worry. She knows that those seconds can seem like minutes for every mum. 

She tried once, nothing. Then she tried again, nothing. Finally, she found it! Yay! It was amazing! It sounded just like a train at high speed! It was beating very fast. Then she let me listen to my own heartbeat which was completely different, much slower and it sounded like a boomerang being thrown. 



Then, the shocking part of all, she said ‘it’s a boy, it’s a boy!’ I asked her ‘really?’ She said that if it was a girl, the heartbeat would have sounded like a horse galloping and beating even faster. I went online to find out but according to this website http://www.in-gender.com/Gender-Prediction/Fetal-Heart-Rate.aspx , this theory is false.

My midwife said this is not 100% as sometimes she gets it wrong so who knows? I need to test this asap! Let’s get some evidence together! Please put a comment if you remember what your baby’s heartbeat sounded like and if you had a boy or girl. It’ll be fun to know!







funky baby clothes funky baby toys funky baby funky baby gifts baby gifts

No comments:

Post a Comment